It’s been 10 days from the ‘New year, New me’ process has start, what about a new challenge of self care practice?
Let’s get back on track. Start gently and don’t find any excuses. No more “I don’t have the time”, “I’m too busy with the kids”, “I have to do this first, then this, then this…” and then “Oh it’s too late now, let’s try tomorrow”. Because you know tomorrow will be the same and you will never find a “right” time for yourself.
According our priorities to everything else but us is not healthy. Start by not feeling guilty to think of you before the others. It’s not selfish to take some ‘ME time’, it’s NECESSARY.
Remember : Self care isn’t optional, it’s essential.
So here’s a list of 30 tips and ideas I recommend (and totally approuve) to practice more self care :
- Do a little activity that make you feel good (indoor or outdoor)
- Highlights parts of your favorite book
- Avoid screens for an entire night (as soon as coming home)
- Watch a comforting or funny movie
- Go to bed early with positive thoughts
- Light some candles and take a hot bath (pump it up with salt, oil or bathbomb!)
- Drive to your favorite outdoor spot and feel every part of it
- Stop feeling guilty of canceling plans, you can’t please everybody
- Write inspiring quotes (copy or create)
- Eat healthy but allow yourself one cheat meal per week
- Exercise twice a week (or manage to have at least 2 hours/week)
- Do yoga and meditation (can be considered as working out)
- Turn off your work phone & email during weekend
- Spend quality time with a friend you don’t see often
- Listen to a calming podcast or app (I recommend the Calm app)
- Write down what you’re feeling & thinking
- Stop overthinking (talk or analyze why you do)
- Have a deep conversation with a supportive friend
- Treat yourself with a massage or mani-pedi
- Write a letter to people you’re mad at then throw it away
- Start a class of something you’ve always wanted to do
- Put fancy underwear just for yourself
- Spend time with your pets or shelter animals who need love
- Write a list of 10 things you love about yourself (or update every new thing)
- Declutter your bedroom (as a peaceful and restful place)
- Reconnect with nature during a weekend getaway
- Play your favorite music and dance
- Moisturize all your body head-to-toe
- Set your next weekly goals
- List all the self care challenges you’ve done
If you’re new to this, I would suggest to start by picking up two on the first week, then three on the second to reach one thing per day at the end of the month. You can easily adapt these depending on the season or your work schedule. It can actually work in duo as long as you’re focussing on yourself. Imagine a spa day with your hubby or best friend getting massages, drinking detox tea and catching up. This is considered as a precious time, filled up with 4 tips in one! Mission accomplished 💪
This is a non-exhaustive list. There is no limit to self care practice as long as it feels good to yourself. Take the step, your mind, your body and even your whole surroundings will thank you!